Date(s): October 15, 2019
Location: Miami, Florida
Time: 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Cost: $175.00 per person or $150 for teams of 3 or more
Registration: includes lunch and 1 copy of Significant 72, Unleashing the Power of Relationships in Today’s Schools for every participant.
Creating strong educational environments for ALL learners continues to be at the forefront of conversations with school systems across the globe. In his groundbreaking book, Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement (2009), Professor John Hattie set out to identify which strategies and innovations have the greatest impact on student achievement in schools. His research, which synthesized findings from over 50,000 educational research studies on 236 million school-aged students found teacher-student relationships have an effect size of .72. This means strong teacher-student relationships leads to almost two years of student growth in one year’s time.
That being said, there still continues to be a gap that exists in schools today regarding relationship development and the intentionality in how that is done. Based on Greg Wolcott’s best selling book, Significant 72: Unleashing the Power of Relationships in Today’s Schools, this workshop brings Hattie’s research to life in every school and every classroom. Wolcott will help educators not only understand the importance of relationships within learning, but also provide practical tools to ensure it happens.
As a result of attending this workshop, educators will:
- discover how having a deep understanding of each child’s background enhances engagement and provides a launch pad for developing autonomous learners.
- realize the critical role the teacher-student relationship plays in being able to challenge students to move outside their individual comfort zones and achieve at high levels.
- gain a framework for developing connections with and between students that fosters an environment of trust and acceptance.
- learn techniques to identify which students in the class are in most need of developing strong relationships and strategies to help them succeed socially, emotionally and academically.
- understand how creating a relationship mindset in the classroom not only enhances students outcomes but greatly enhances personal well being at the same time.
Greg Wolcott currently serves as the Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning at Woodridge School District 68 in Woodridge, Illinois, a suburb 30 miles west of Chicago. As an educator in the Chicagoland area for over 20 years, Greg is passionate about developing opportunities for all students to succeed as well as finding ways for all teachers and staff members to utilize their strengths to maximize the learning of each and every child whom they interact with on a daily basis.Greg consults throughout the United States on a variety of subjects including adult learning, developing innovative practices in the classroom to engage all learners, formative assessment to drive instruction, response to instruction/intervention, and data usage for school improvement.
Participants who attend this workshop will…
- understand how the Learning Pit can be used to inspire and reassure students so that they develop resilience, determination, learning strategies and metacognitive thinking.
- learn the best strategies for guiding students into and out of the Learning Pit.
- know when to support, when to challenge, when to confuse and when to engage students so that they move from surface to deep learning.
- identify the links between the Learning Pit and Carol Dweck’s Mindset as well as John Hattie’s Mindframes for learning.
- develop a common language for planning and reflecting on the learning process.
- learn how to teach students to use “Pit Tools” so that they grow their independence and self-efficacy.
If you have questions about this workshop, please do not hesitate to contact us at (920) 479-6504 or email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to assist!
Nearest Airport: Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bloomington – Minneapolis South: 10 Miles
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bloomington – Minneapolis South
7800 Normandale Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55439
Rooms Available for $115.00 per night under FIRST Educational Resources Room Block