Date(s): June 3, 2019
Location: Illinois State University Alumni Center
1101 N Main St
Normal, IL 61761
Time: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Cost: $175.00 per person (includes lunch and Materials)
Audience: Teachers (all grades), Leaders, Coaches, Teaching-Support staff, School and District administrators
The Learning Pit explains why more challenge leads to enhanced learning. It helps teachers structure lessons, and students challenge themselves. It shows teachers how to develop questioning and facilitation techniques, and by going through the pit, it helps students to grow their resilience, decision-making and higher-order thinking skills. Find out all about the Learning Pit from its creator, James Nottingham. This workshop will provide a clear path for engaging students in deep and meaningful learning. James will introduce the stages and steps, examples, tools and tactics to engage students in rigorous learning.
This workshop will ...
- provide a clear, concise and research-based approach to creating cognitively challenging classrooms that captivate, activate and invigorate learners.
- offer guidance as to the types of concepts to use to take students through the Learning Pit.
- construct and consider new and innovative ways to promote stronger and deeper learning for students.
- show how to create the conditions to encourage and support students’ deep understanding of complex concepts.
- develop a framework and practical strategies that educators of all levels and disciplines can use to educate students to think critically.
- give real, practical examples of the best strategies for deepening learning.
- explore some of the best lesson ideas for engaging students in the Learning Pit.
Participants who attend this workshop will…
- understand how the Learning Pit can be used to inspire and reassure students so that they develop resilience, determination, learning strategies and metacognitive thinking.
- learn the best strategies for guiding students into and out of the Learning Pit.
- know when to support, when to challenge, when to confuse and when to engage students so that they move from surface to deep learning.
- identify the links between the Learning Pit and Carol Dweck’s Mindset as well as John Hattie’s Mindframes for learning.
- develop a common language for planning and reflecting on the learning process.
- learn how to teach students to use “Pit Tools” so that they grow their independence and self-efficacy.
If you have questions about this workshop, please do not hesitate to contact us at (920) 479-6504 or email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to assist!
Nearest Airport: Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bloomington – Minneapolis South: 10 Miles
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bloomington – Minneapolis South
7800 Normandale Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55439
Rooms Available for $115.00 per night under FIRST Educational Resources Room Block