Learning FIRST Institute on
SEL in Action
(May 6-7, 2019)
Date(s): May 6-7, 2019
Location: Mesa Convention Center
263 N Center St. Mesa, AZ 85201
Time: 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM both days
Cost: $350.00 per person or $325.00 for teams of 10 or more
About The Learning FIRST Institute on SEL in Action:
If you are looking for ways to create better and more meaningful learning experiences for you and your students, this institute is perfect for you and your team! Come spend two powerful days of learning with our team of educational experts to help your school and district move forward to ensure high levels of learning for ALL students and in ALL schools. This institute will afford you the opportunity to learn from leading experts in the field of Social and Emotional Learning and ultimately, create a more effective learning environment for both students and staff. Our presenters have extensive knowledge pertaining to high quality SEL systems, structures and instruction.
Our presenters have a wide-range of knowledge and experience working with educators around these critical topics in education and this institute will allow you to better understand how all elements systematically flow together to create a stronger sense of SEL in today’s schools. Our team of presenters will also customize your learning experience at this institute by sharing their research, knowledge and implementation strategies around social emotional learning. Engage in this process with colleagues on the following questions that must be asked to ensure high levels of learning for all students and within a strong SEL framework:
- What type of learning environment and culture do we strive to create in becoming a Learning FIRST school?span>
- How we best develop meaningful and lasting relationships to engage our students in authentic SEL experiences?
- How to we ensure equitable SEL opportunities for every student that walks into our buildings?span>
- What does leadership look like at all levels in a strong SEL environment?
- What does collaboration look like in a SEL environment and how do we make it a priority at all levels?
- How can we measure the response to SEL instruction and support for all students?
- What is our collective response to our students when they are not learning or demonstrating what is essential when it comes to SEL?
Through these guiding questions and discussion, you will be afforded the opportunity to learn how to best take these practices and create sustainable learning structures that will lay the foundation for meaningful change in the best interest of students. This institute is loaded with four great keynotes packed with ideas that support student SEL in all situations. Participants also have the ability to personalize their own learning experience by picking from sessions throughout the institute that best meet their individual learning needs.
Participants who attend this institute, will: (not limited to)
- understand what SEL is and what SEL is not.
- evaluate the role and connection between SEL and student academic and behavioral achievement
- learn strategies for SEL implementation in your building or across your entire district.
- learn about the power of relationships in development and maintaining a strong SEL environment.
- understand the role in relationships within classroom management, differentiation, and how both strategies lead to higher levels of learning.
- understand what SEL equity means in today’s schools to ensure every student is afforded the right opportunity to learn in way that best supports his/her own life experiences.
- learn how to best support ALL students through a highly effective and systematic approach through collaborative systems of support for social emotional learning.
- learn what effective leadership looks like in creating a strong SEL environment, regardless of the role one serves in their school or district.
- understand how to effectively turn SEL data and evidence into action for our students.
- increase student motivation through effective use of data, goal setting, and feedback.
Breakout Sessions Will Cover the Following Topics:
- Student Voice and SEL
- Restorative Practices through an SEL Framework
- Measuring the Effectiveness of your SEL
- Teaching Students to be Resilient Through SEL
- Formulating Strong SEL Questions for Students to Engage in Cognitive Conflict
- The Power of SEL Through Relationships
- Teaching SEL to Students of Diverse Backgrounds creating Equitable SEL Learning Experiences
- Examining the use of Dialogue to Enhance SEL in Action in Today’s Schools
- Creating a Culture of High Expectations and Support Pertaining to SEL
- Leading Your Building or Districts with an SEL Focus
- How to Help the Adults Take Care of Themselves Through and Social and Emotional Focus
If you have questions about this institute, please do not hesitate to contact us at (920) 479-6504 or email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to assist!
3 Graduate Credits Available from Midwest Teachers Institute
Midwest Teachers Institute (MTI) is a national provider of inexpensive and university-accredited K-12 teacher graduate courses for teacher recertification, salary advancement and professional development
Nearest Airport: Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX)
Distance from Mesa Convention Center: 12 Miles
Alternative Airport: Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport
Distance from Mesa Convention Center: 17 Miles
Delta Marriott Hotel (connected to Mesa Convention Center)
Rooms: $119 per night (must be arranged directly with FIRST Educational Resources)